Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Weekend Cooking..


Hello everyone.. 
I am kind of slow getting my weekend post up.. 
Better late then never, I hope.. 

We are having wonderful Spring weather finally here in New Brunswick and the brisk winds has the clothes blowing out so lovely on the lines.. 
Wonderful... 

Anyway..
 This post is just  about being in the kitchen
and doing the cooking thing...

So... 
Here are a few recipes that I have used
 the last few days.. 

A new bread.. 
We thought this was scrumptious... 
Very nice for a weekend brunch... 

Orange Marmalade Loaf.. 
4 cups white flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. instant yeast
2/3 cup lukewarm water
2/3 cup lukewarm milk
2 T. oil plus more for brushing 
7 T. orange marmalade 
Topping. 
1 egg yolk 
1 T. milk
1 T. sugar
2 T. candied orange peel 
In a bowl whisk together flour, sugar, yeast and salt.. 
Make a well in the middle and pour in water and milk. Stir well with a wood spoon until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.. Put on a lightly floured space and knead for 10 minutes.. 
Brush the sides of the bowl with oil and cover with a damp dish towel.. Let rise in a warm place for 2 hours until dough is doubled in volume.. 
Brush a 7 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 pan with oil .. 
Put dough on lightly floured space and punch down.. Roll out into a rectangle 3/4 inch thick.. 
Spread with marmalade leaving a half inch border along 1 long side.. Roll up like a jelly roll and place in oiled pan with seam side down.. 
Cover with damp towel and let rise in warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled... 
Preheat oven to 415 degrees F. and mix up topping.. 
Whisk together and brush over top of loaf.. Score top and sprinkle orange peel.. 
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.. 
Cool on rack.. 
A few points about this bread that I learned.. 
1. Roll the dough into a tight roll and use the exact amount of marmalade called for.. 
2.. Use parchment paper in the pan.. 
3...If you have a hot oven (mine is a confection) then turn your heat to only 400 degrees F ... 

Then of course there are the salads.. 

Home made French Dressing.. 
6 T. Canola oil
2 T. wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. sugar 
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard 
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.. 
Whisk all together and pour over a mixed salad. 

We had a ham and I find it stretches into everlasting.. smile.. 
This is the last end that I baked in the oven.. 
The rest were cut into steaks and fried up for breakfast or supper.. 
Used in omelets, fried rice and soup... 

Maple Ham Glaze.. 
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 T. packed brown sugar
2 T. grainy mustard
1 T. finely chopped rosemary 
Whisk together and brush on a whole ham the last 45 minutes of cooking or several times during the frying of sliced ham..


 We are trying to use up last year's maple syrup... 

The ham bone is in the freezer and will end up making
a great soup one rainy day soon.. 

We had not had a stir fry for a while so on Saturday supper we had one.. 
Basic Stir Fry with ginger over Rice.. 

Like I said we are trying to use up our maple syrup products so I made these cookies.. 


We get our maple products from Paul Beaman.. 
The syrup comes from Prosser Brook maple trees.. 
Therefore, it is the best around.. smile.  

I had read in an old cook book this week to replace granulated sugar for maple for Maple Cookies... 


Here is the recipe and they sure went over good, shall we say.. 

Maple Sugar Cookies.. 
1 c. butter or margarine, softened
3/4  cup of white sugar
3/4 cup of grated maple sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 tsp. vanilla 
1/2 tsp. maple flavoring (opt)

I used grated maple sugar and white sugar mixed for rolling cookies.. 
about 1/3 of a cup combined or just use white sugar.. 

Oven 350 degrees F. 
Cream together butter and sugar until light. 
Add egg and mix well.. 
Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla and nutmeg. 
Scoop out cookie dough and roll in small bowl of sugar..
Set on cookie sheet and press down lightly with fork or your two fingers.. 
Bake for 10 minutes or until just lightly browned.. 
Leave them on the tray for a few minutes then transfer to cooling rack.  

Terry had bought 2 huge bags of apples which needed to be used up.. 
This was a recipe I meant to try all Fall and did not get to.. 
It turned out well and  tastes divine.. 

French Apple Jam.. 
The link for this recipe is 
Here..


This was all it made but you could double or triple the recipe in the Fall... 

I used a Tablespoon of Cardamon pods, though.. 


One of my easy go to recipes which is not a recipe, 
 really.. 

Just brown up chicken and put in a casserole and cover with a jar of Sweet and Sour sauce.. 
Easy peasy... 

Sweet and Sour Chicken..

Here is an old faithful dessert as I am trying to use up last year's frozen stuff.. 

Zucchini Pie 

2/3 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of butter
1 tsp. of vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup of grated zucchini  
1/2 cup of nuts or raisins,,,
Just cream the sugar, butter and vanilla.. Then add egg and mix well.. 
Sift in the flour, soda and spices and mix for a minute or so.. 
Add the zucchini and stir well.. 
Pour into a greased 9 inch pie pan..
Bake in a 350 degrees F. oven for 25 minutes.

Turn out onto a rack and cool.. 
Meanwhile stir up an icing for the top.. 
1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
3 T. butter
1/4 tsp. cloves
3-5 tsp. coffee cream or can milk.. (whole milk will do)
Whisk together and spread on.. 

And last but not least.. 
A recipe I tried out on Terry and Dustin last night.. smile.. 

The Perfect Roast Potato (English Style Roast Potatoes)

Let's just say that they passed the test.. smile.. 
I did take pics but I was laughing at something and deleted them by mistake., This is the one from the site.. 
This is how they look, though.. 

I know that I am just an old fashioned type cook and we really eat too many of the wrong things sometimes but we try to buy fresh and not a lot of fat... 
Lots of herbs and garlic to balance everything.. grin.. 


Well, dear hearts that is all for today.. 


The evenings are so much longer now... 
Hope you are enjoying the new season and all it brings.. 
Our rhubarb will soon be ready and I did find a few chives.. 
Can't wait for my lovage and tomato juice.. smile.. 

So much to look forward to with herbs and gardens, farm markets, jam making and oh the fiddleheads and Sampfire greens.. 
eh???
Hope you enjoyed this kind of post for a change anyway.. 

Thanks so much for your sweet visit.. Love hearing from you all.. 
And welcome to the new friends we have made here on the blog and our Face Book page..
So nice to meet ya...


May God bless and keep you ... 
Hugs from good old New Brunswick.. 


22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...my comment would be too long if I commented on eveything you cooked individually...so EVERYTHING you made looks absolutely mouth watering! I want to live at your house and eat what you cook...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some scrumptious looking food, indeed everything looks amazing but I was bowled over by the French apple jam, I have saved the recipe for later on in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a cook and baker you are! I love orange marmelade!!!!! So I can just imagine how your bread must taste. Everything looks so delicious and yummy! We are trying to use up our things in the freezer. They still taste wonderful. On Sunday afternoon, Jim bought 400 onions to plant! The kids just loved them. So......they are coming tonight to help Dad plant them!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faye, this blog post was amazing. Everything you make is made with love and good ingredients. The marmalade bread looks so delicious!! Hasn't this weather been something? It is so nice to see the sunshine and feel the warmer air. Have a good week my friend. Blessings.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am salivating too much!!!! So many wonderful bakes for breakfast lunch and dinner!
    God bless and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You take the best food photos!! I am so hungry after looking and reading. :-))
    I love marmalade, so I know I will love the marmalade bread.
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really loving this cooking post. I love to cook myself so I always enjoy seeing what everyone is cooking. That marmalade bread looks especially good. I'm going to try my hand making it. Thank you for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is holy cow everything sure looks good!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faye, I have been away from blogging. We are almost ready to move into our new home. I look forward to trying your recipes! Especially the ham! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those maple cookies look delish!! Would be a good one to bring some Sunday when there is fellowship after church- Wink, Wink :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Which recipe do I decide to do first, Faye they all look so tempting, I think the marmalade bread first.
    Your photo's are beautiful.
    Thank you for the recipes, I will do the jam in the Autumn.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything in your food pictures looks amazing and very yummy, I wish I lived closer!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a YUMMY post ! All looks soo good I am hungry now lol ! Glad spring has finally showed up in your neck of the woods . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  14. We started the Daniel Plan way of eating and so I have been learning to adapt some recipes to work with the foods we are allowed to have. We too do a little bit of cheating now but we try to stay on it, everything looks so tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love marmalade on bread, never tried it inside. Interesting.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything looks delicious! I was a tad peckish before but now I am just plain old hungry.LOL! Always nice to visit your blog.Blessings,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this post, so many great recipes. I was just wondering what I should make for supper tonight, and realized I have a ham in my fridge downstairs. I think my boys would like that! Sunny and warmish here too in Nova Scotia!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yummy Faye, thanks for sharing the recipes. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a nice lot of recipes, I like the look of the marmalade bread and the apple jam (I have quite a few apples to use up as well).

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful collection of delicious sounding recipes!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
    I just had a simple bowl of soup for lunch, and now I am hungry again...especially seeing that orange marmalade bread...**smile**.

    Isn't it fun being in the kitchen and baking and cooking? I love to spend time in the kitchen and making good food for my sweet family.
    Although usually I end up just cooking for the two of us. More and more we get to have quiet meals together :)

    Have a wonderful Mother's day, and a great weekend, my friend.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipes. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Faye! What scrumptious looking things you've created here! Hmmm...that orange marmalade loaf looks so divine!
    Spending time in the kitchen is so richly rewarding, isn't it...? You have such a lovely way of writing and your blog is a blessing!
    Have a wonderful day and lots of love!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete