Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

Our first farm day...

Hello there everyone.. 
How are you all?  

I hear that Spring has landed in many parts of the world but here in Eastern Canada we are a bit slow but better late then never, eh?.. 

We just had so much snow but it is amazing how fast it has gone.. 
Saturday, we decided to go to the farm and have our first farm day this year.. 
As you can see there is still a bit of snow but the truck made it in all right.. 

Perhaps I should explain to you new followers that we have an old family farm up in the Kent Hills that we visit whenever we can.. 
Terry goes probably once every couple of weeks all Winter but I don't.. He snow shoes in .. smile.. 

We just go and put on a fire, make a meal and potter about.. 
It is very peaceful and quiet and we love it there.. 
Anyway.. 
Saturday was rainy, wet and windy..
My kind of day.. smile..  

It was also the Pollett River Run... 
We go by the river to get to our farm so I have included a few pics...  

Every April people gather together with all kinds of boats..
Rafts, canoes and you name it... smile.. 

Even home made barges... 
All day they row the river with all kinds of activities going on...
Proof that Spring has arrived to Southern New Brunswick.. smile.. 

Anyway.. 
As soon as Terry got the fire kindled and going,  he made his annual flag pole climb..  



The wind is pretty fierce up there and it just shreds the flag every year.. 
This time was nearly as scary as it was  HERE

This is a little exert from that post.. smile..  
I was talking to Shonda today and mentioned that I think my nerves are bad.. 
She wondered why.. 

I thought I should send her the pic of her father up that rickety ladder hanging off the flag pole that is as tall or taller than the barn roof.. 

He couldn't get the old flag down as it was shredded into bits from the wind and caught there.. 
He comes down and carries up a full length 2x4 to poke at the top of the flagpole.. 
The old ladder was to one side and he was leaning back ...
Oh Lord...

Meanwhile, I am calling on the name of Jesus to protect this foolish man and he just tells me to watch and learn..

This time he had a good ladder and the flag was not stuck.. 
Thank you, Lord.. 
Now... 
On with the story.. 
I needed to clean after all of Terry's visits.. grin.. 
Lots of dishes and surfaces to clean.. 
Counters, sink, stove and such.. 
Sometimes we have visitors (mice)  over the Winter so I need to sanitize everything.. 
Once that was pretty well done I started a late lunch..
Early supper, actually... 

We always have at least one meal there and this was our first one for the year.. 

By the time the flag was flying dinner was ready.. 

Nothing fancy as there was too much cleaning to do.. 
Leftover roast chicken brought from home, mashed, carrots, and beans.. 

And pickled cucumbers.. 
These are just made with an English Cucumber and kept in your fridge.. 
I think you might like them as they are easy to make, too.. 

James Ramsden's Pickled Cucumbers.. 

Scant 1 cup of white wine or cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups of fine sugar
1 tsp. fennel seeds
a handful of dill chopped - optional
1 English or regular cucumber
1 onion peeled and finely sliced
1 tsp. salt 

Whisk the vinegar and sugar together in a bowl until dissolved.. 
Crush the fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle or with your rolling pin.. Add them to the mixture along with your dill..
Finely slice your cucumber or use a slicer and add to mixture along with the onion and salt.. 
Wait at least an hour before serving or store in fridge in a mason jar.. 
Do you like the flavor of fennel ?  I love it.. 

They lose their color after a couple of weeks but still taste delicious.. 

Around supper time we left again for home and there were RCMP everywhere around the Pollett River.. 
At one spot we counted 8 police vehicles... 
Good to know that it was well monitored ..

All over again for another year.. 

I am so glad you dropped by.. 
Welcome to the new followers .. 
Just so glad to meet you all.. smile.. 

I started 2 other posts and could not seem to get them done but hopefully will do better this week.. 

I am down with the cold that is going around but all is well.. 
Take care, dear hearts.. 


and to... 

21 comments:

  1. Did you live on the farm all the time at one point? Our weather is warmer a bit, 81 degrees today, 60 tomorrow, can the weather ever make up it's mind!? We walked this evening without a jacket which was nice. Glad Terry didn't fall from the ladder and that he has a better one. Should have someone out there holding the ladder at the bottom for safety. Get to feeling better and have a good week! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky... So glad you dropped by.. The farm belonged to my Dad's sister and I visited there often as a child and Terry and I visited together after we were married but we did not live there.. When it came up for sale we decided we would try to buy it and it worked out.. Take care.. xo

      Delete
  2. My heart was in my mouth looking at the photos of Terry on the ladder, men will be men. I add mint to the onion and cucumber for a tasty side dish when we have lamb it is very moreish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank the Lord that Terry was kept safe way up there!
    Glad you had a good visit to the farm and what a yummy dinner! Simple fare is still satisfying to the heart!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post and photos ! Oh I cant look at the photos of Terry up the flag pole makes me nervous I don't like Papa up on ladders here either . BRR ! the rafters look cold on that river . Supper looks YUMMY I can smell it through the computer lol ! Hope your feeling better soon ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have been praying up a storm too - that is really high! Nice post again. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Faye,
    I enjoyed seeing the photo of your farm home in the hills and reading about the flagpole adventures of your husband. Oh my, I don't do heights well at all. Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Faye.
    I'm visiting from The Enchanting Rose blog link. Your farm home looks well kept and is quite beautiful! I love the wonderful dark trees in the background of your photo. When you mention RCMP I thought you meant police on horseback! Ah well, I suppose cars are warmer. 80) God bless. I hope your cold leaves soon and stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear your dealing with a cold, that does seem to be going around, early spring colds. Wow it is amazing there is still a touch of snow on the ground, you just don't think of that when things are blooming all around you down south here. That would scare me to have my husband do that too. So special to have a place you can go to and get away for awhile. It looks like everyone has fun on the river, wow I bet that water is cold. In my home town they do the same type of thing during our local festival in early June, so fun to watch the rafts they have put together to go down the river.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back to the farm! I love to hear of all the (nerve-wracking) goings on!

    Happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm visiting from Roses of Inspiration. Seeing that picture of Terry on the ladder almost had my heart in my throat. That looks like something my Dad would do. He grew up on a farm in North Dakota. He just says "when things need doing, you do them." I can tell you're Canadian by your lovely blue delphite Pyrex. Totally envious:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faye, I hope you are on the mend and feeling better soon. Watching your beloved climbing up the pole surely didn't help you feel much better, yikes! Thank you for this wonderful post, sometimes I just sit here and sigh with happiness when I read it and look at your lovely pictures! We briefly had spring on the weekend, I think winter has returned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, men sure can make their wives worry! I wouldn't be able to watch-haha :) sounds like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No I wouldn't watch either, I'd have to do something else all the while praying :)
    I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Hope things warm up properly sometime soon.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've gone beyond spring to a stifling heat-wave. I'll be happy to take off some of your coolness.
    And also that amazing river :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your snow is slow to leave, I bet it is so nice to see some green again.
    I loved seeing your trip to the old farmhouse.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Faye, the river run looks so cold, but oh so fun! I had to giggle at some of the rafts/boats :)

    Your pickled cucumbers looks delicious! I think I will have to try my hand at making some. It's always such a joy to have you at Roses of Inspiration. Thank you, friend, for linking up. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an exciting day Faye!
    I'm very nervous of my husband around ladders too as he had a very bad fall from one a few years ago and broke his back..... we're getting older though and not the Spring chickens that you and Terry are - grin!!!!
    It's lovely to have somewhere to escape to and this looks like a wonder spot.
    YUmmy Pickled Cucumbers - I always have them in the fridge too!
    I do love your story telling Faye - it's like reading a book about a far away land, as we are at either ends of the Earth.
    Bless you and Terry
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seeing Terry at the top of that ladder is so scary! Oh my. Our menfolk sure know how to worry us don't they? I saw that the Pollett River run was on last weekend. I'm sure it's quite a time and I wouldn't want to fall into that icy water.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the river run. I think I would do it :-))
    Terry is so fun.
    Get Well Soon...I love reading your posts.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  20. Our hubby's can sure make us sweat sometimes!!! But we love them anyways! :) Thank you for sharing your adventures at the farm on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete