Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

A few apple recipes and such...

Hello my dears.. 
How are you all?

We woke up to a snowy morn today.. 
Although, it didn't amount to much on the roads the fields were white.. 
I guess it is November and here in New Brunswick we can expect snowy days.. 
I think our lovely Fall is over and Winter is no longer waiting in the wings.. smile.. 

As I was saying in my last post I am preparing for a little craft show with Shonda.. 
I made these over the weekend.. 
Apple Cider Pantry Potpourri Bags.. 


Very simple to make and rather satisfying if you know what I mean.... 

You gather spices that you like.. 
Cinnamon, Anise, Cloves, Allspice, Cardamon and such.. 
Tie them up in cheesecloth squares and tie with grocery twine.. 

Then heat up a bottle of pure apple cider in a pot on the stove.. 


Slip the ties over a wood spoon and mull in the cider for a half hour.. 
Squeeze out the cider.. 


Place the bags on a rack over a pan to dry out.. 
Oh... and drink the lovely mulled cider.. 

When dry you can use them as gifts or use them for yourselves.. 
I am putting one in my pantry so that when I go in I will smell the scents of the season.. grin.. 
The rest will be placed in my apple repertoire for the sale..  

Terry has been busy hunting the last week.. 
He goes each afternoon and sits in a crow's nest for hours waiting for a buck deer to show up.. 
Every day he sits there and he has not seen one.. 
This afternoon we went to Sussex and just up the road from our house he saw these.. 


Yup... deer... lots of them.. 
He  stopped and backed up... I had the camera on my lap as usual. 
They are not great pics but you can see why he felt kind of sick.. 

I caught a pic of 4 of them but he says there were 5 and of course it was a big buck..  hahaha..
And no gun.. 
Poor guy.. grin.. 
I expect he will go out again tomorrow, though..

Oh well.. 
We came home and had supper..  

Fish Hash.. 

I wanted to include the recipes for the apple butter and jelly.. 

APPLE JELLY.. 
Place 20 large apples cut into quarters with seeds removed into a pot along with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil.. 
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.. 
Crush with a potato masher and simmer another 5 minutes.. 
Place this mixture into a jelly bag and hang for several hours or overnight.. 
Do not squeeze as you need the pulp for the Apple Butter.. 

For the Jelly.. 
Measure 5 cups of juice 
7 1/2 cups of sugar 
1 T. lemon juice 
1/2 tsp. butter 
Place in a jelly pot and bring to a full boil over high heat..  
Bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down and boil for 1 minute.. 
Take off heat and add 1 pouch of Certo.. 
Boil one more minute.. 
Take off heat and stir and skim.. 
Bottle into sterilized jars.. 
The following recipe is one that was given to me by a friend in 1974 ... 
It is an old fashioned butter like our Grandma used to make.. 
I love the taste of this so much better then the crock pot one I have made.. 

APPLE BUTTER.. 
Measure 5 cups of pulp that has been put through a food mill.. 
Make sure you have 5 cups of pulp.. 
7 1/2 cups of sugar 
1/2 tsp. allspice 
1/2 tsp. cloves ( I added this as we love cloves)
1 tsp. cinnamon 
Place in a large pot.. 
Bring to a full rolling boil for 1 minute stirring constantly..
Remove from heat and  add 1 envelope of liquid Certo..
Stir and skim for 5 minutes.. 
Pour into sterilized jars.. 
5 pints.. 

 Process the Apple Butter according to safe canning procedures.





Hoping you all have a blessed week.. 
I am preparing for Keepers of the Home this Saturday.. 
You are welcome to join us.. 
Just email me at houseofhenry@hotmail.com 
We would love to have you.. 

Thanks so much for dropping by and as always I look forward to hearing from you all.. 

Take care, dear hearts.. 
God bless..

14 comments:

  1. Hi Faye, You are always so busy and Have such good ideas. I seem to be busy but don't think I accomplish things like you do. I can't say I'm sorry Terry didn't get a deer but I did love your pics.
    We had quite a bit of snow and schools were closed today. I am so not ready for winter this year so am hoping this melts and we have some more nice Fall days.
    Take care
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so yummy here, Faye...as always! You are so creative! My husband could totally relate to how your husband would have felt today when he saw all those deer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An inspirational post, a couple of great recipes that I am going to try, thank you for sharing. Hope your craft fair is a great success. We haven't had snow yet but the temperatures are starting to drop now we have had such a mild Autumn so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The potpourri bags look interesting! Good luck at your craft sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the spiced apple sachets, Faye! I'm sure they'll sell well at your craft fair. I'm busy crafting for a local one myself.
    Always good to catch up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for posting this craft and recipes. I love the idea of putting it into the cabinet. It's the little things we do that make our house a home, isn't it? Wishing you good luck at the craft fair, and can't wait to see what the Keepers meeting will be about. God bless you, and crossing my fingers for your husband to get his deer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The apple recipes sound wonderful . Hope Terry gets his deer . The winds are cool but the air is mild here today and rain is on the way . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S I bet you will sell all your little wonderful crafty stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  9. hunting season starts at the end of this month here in the mountains. and the deer are everywhere at this time ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there...So happy to catch your pictures on facebook . I have been down with the bug.
    I hope EVERYONE stays healthy...terrible stomach ache and it was no fun! Anyways, Jim would have felt the same way as Terry...expecially since he did not have the gun with him. We are over run with deer here. But Jim does not hunt anymore. Terry can get one tomorrow, I hope! I love the jelly and apple butter recipes. We have been eating apples like crazy lately. They seem especially good this year. I just love to see the things you are making for the sale at Shonda's church. You are so creative and clever! AND YOU HAVE SO MUCH AMBITION!!!!!

    Remember - GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD....

    L....
    S....

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is it that somehow, the deer just seem to know where to hang out to avoid the hunters??!!!
    Did I tell you that our youngest son hit a deer in town? Just a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of the day, and on main street, no less. Boy did it mess up his vehicle.

    Love the recipes for using apples. How delicious preserves taste in the winter time!

    I sent you an email.... just to answer your questions **smile**.

    Warm wishes...
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Faye,
    Thank you so much for the recipes. Please can I ask you what is certo, I have never heard of it before.
    Keep warm in Canada.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear.. It is nice hearing from you.. Certo is the brand of liquid fruit pectin that we use here in Canada.. I am sure you have your own type in England.. You could google the substitute for it, I think ... Hope this helps.. xo

      Delete
  13. Ha.......those deer are smarter than we give them credit for :^)!!
    One came along and snacked on the flowers and stem ends of my moonflowers....bad deer.....if only she knew how much I like venison sausage...ooops....
    I bet your apple goodies are wonderful. I have to do everything sugar free, so I will just have to admire them from afar....heh-heh like maybe a couple of thousand miles :^)
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete