Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

A little Summer ramble and roll...




Hello there.. 
Hope everyone is fine and doing well...

Summer is having her last fling here in the Maritimes of Canada and what a beautiful day we had today... 
Just perfect weather.. 
Not too hot or cool but Fall is certainly on it's way.. 

I love the Spring but find the Fall has a very creative influence on me.. I just want to be making and doing.. smile.. 

Here in St. Martins the village built benches for folks to sit on during the Summer and on each side is an edible garden.. 
They are lovely and across the street from our cottage is the one with Nasturtium flowers, herbs, tomatoes, blueberries, kale, beans and peas and such.. 
You are invited to pick a veggie, herb or whatever as long as you leave some for others.. 
I picked 10 blossoms and made a vinegar.. 
I make several different kinds each Fall to carry me through the Winter for salads and greens and such.. 
Nasturtium Vinegar tastes kind of peppery and is delicious.. 
Very easy to make as you just place them in a jar and cover with white vinegar for a couple of weeks.. 
Strain through a cheesecloth and use.. 
It turns a most beautiful orange shade in a couple of days.. 

Anyway... 
I am getting ready to close my shop.. 
This weekend will probably wrap it up and I am happy about that..
We still had stuff in the barn from when I first started out and took a huge load over today.. 
Tomorrow I hope to go over and sort through all the boxes and place it about and price it.. 
Everything is almost all 50 percent off and has been moving along very well.. 

I have been pickling a bit and today I finished up my Pumpkin Flavors Potpourri... 

It is very pretty and smells nice and spicy.. 

I have also been trying to enjoy my last days by the Sea.. 
I miss the Bay of Fundy so much when we go home,, 
It is a part of me even though I do look forward to going home and getting things back to normal.. 

It has been a wonderful Summer with our grandsons visiting quite a bit and other lovely company.. 

Last night I woke up very dizzy and did not have a good rest at all.. 
This morning I just sat on the stoop in my flannel pj's and housecoat and slept in the breeze.. 
So lovely... 

On Sunday we had a nice day with our daughter as it was likely the last Sunday we will attend church with her and her family this Summer.. 
We spent the afternoon at her house and had a wonderful dinner.. 
Then sat outside and watched the sailboats on the river.. 

And then back to another wonderful service.. 

Our four older grandsons head to Montreal this weekend for a missions trip.. 
I pray God will bless and protect them.. 
School starts next week.. 

Oh my... where has the Summer gone?  smile.. 

Well, dear hearts this has been nothing but a ramble and roll and once again I am falling short.. 

Take care and if you are in the area on the weekend drop by the House of Henry... 

God bless.. 




10 comments:

  1. I wish I was close enough to drop in on you Faye. How lovely would that be! Your photos make me want to sit in the sun with you and watch those sail boats. I hope you don't have too much work to wind up your shop. Take care, dear heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too wish I was near enough to drop in and buy up some of your lovely goods. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I can't believe how fast the summer has gone . Yes fall is in the air here to the mornings and evenings have cool breezes as do the days now , crickets chirping , Starlings chattering and the air smells so fresh wild flowers in the fields are in abundance here now covered in bees and butterfly's ! All looks and sounds wonderful there , hope the dizzies go for you . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faye, you have caught the waning days of August perfectly. Look at that bay and the flowers and pickles.. perfect!
    Your shop will be greatly missed by your dear customers.. it added a charming addition to the community but I know how much time it takes to tend and stock up a shop.. sometimes it feels like a shop takes over a persons life.. you are making the right choice and you deserve the reward that is waiting. Enjoy, xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Faye,
    such nice pictures. Love the area where you are, it is beautiful.
    Yes, I guess we are all soaking up the last of summer. Here too, we are also anxious for Fall.
    It is the most wonderful time of year, in my mind. Filled with bounty, spicy smells, and crunchy leaves.
    Love it.

    Enjoy this week.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    Girly, you need to take special care of yourself!!! Dizzy is NOT good!!
    Your potpourri is lovely...since I can't buy it from your store, can you share the process???? I have made nasturtium dressing before, but no vinegar. Ours only bloom in the VERY early spring...nearly right after Christmas, so I will have to wait to make my vinegar.
    Take care sweet lady and I hope you are feeling "up to snuff" pronto!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my friend!
    I know I'd get here sooner than later today. I've been taking my blog visits right down the line on my sidebar. I've got to get a system going to visit everyone but haven't found that yet! Any suggestions? lol

    You are such a busy lady and it's all with fun and delicious things.
    I admire your use of flowers and herbs to make vinegars and such.
    What a wonderful idea for the benches and the edible gardens - not sure if something like that would last around here - it would probably get vandalized.
    Blessings to you and I hope you are feeling much better and I'm also glad to hear the shop was a good season.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe Summer has nearly gone too.
    I love your photo's & am enjoying so much going through your blog. I have added it to my side bar so I won't miss a thing.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer is making it's final bow this way too.
    More stunning photo's Faye and most of all food :-)
    There is always next year to look forward to. Take care dear Faye :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Faye, I enjoyed your photos and stories as always. What a nice idea of the benches with gardens next to them. I guess I won't be making it down this summer after all. By the time we get home and get fall and church going again we'll be too busy. We have a wedding to attend and Murray's playing at a concert in McAdam on 2 Saturdays. Time flies by so fast. I'm glad that you're looking forward to the end of your little shop. You will be able to enjoy your summer more next year. Pam

    ReplyDelete