Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Summer's Day at the Farm.. .


Hello there my dears.. 
So glad you dropped by the Blessed Hearth today.. 
Here we are mid-August already.. 
The Summer has certainly flown by.. I think it is one of the quickest Summers on record.. 
Perhaps it is just the fact that this old gal is getting older and time just seems to be going at a faster rate then normal.. 
No matter... 
August will soon be past and then September and home we will be going.. 
This past Friday Terry and I made a quick overnite trip home, actually.. 
We got up early and stopped by the annual  Giant Flea Market in Sussex for just a couple of hours.. 
Just enough time to spend my quota.. grin.. 
Then we were on our way home.. 
Driving up Terry says he thinks he will load the lawn mower as soon as we get home and go up and mow the lawns at the old farm.. 
Oh joy... 
I was so excited to go to the old place even for just a few hours.. 
So, as soon as we unloaded the laundry and such I packed up a few things for dinner and away we went.. 

Such a beautiful drive up through the hills to the old place.. 
Following the brook and then coming upon our old barn.. 
The pasture beside it was full of cattle.. 
(Not ours, though) smile.. 

The old barn was framed in golden rod.. 
And the old house was still standing while the flag flapped away in the breezes.. 
I know it is not much to look at but for some reason Terry and I feel so contented to spend the day there.. 

He unlocked the doors and we were so surprised to find everything so tip top.. 

Our youngest son's family spent a few nights there and did a bit of uncluttering for us.. 
It looked wonderfull 
Thank you, sweeties.. 
I especially appreciated it and I won't tell Dad where all of his stuff went to.. lol... 

Anyway, he got busy mowing and all I had to do was set the table.. 
And cook a bit of food.. smile.. 
A frugal way to cook steak is to cut it up into thin slices.. 
Season it well and brown it along with some onion and then add a can of mushrooms with the juice.. 
When all is cooked add a can of cream of mushroom soup and simmer away until ready.. 
One steak will stretch much further and you have a lovely tasty gravy.. 
We like it anyway once in awhile.. 
One steak does us very well as I only need a couple of slices as I prefer veggies.. 
Don't the new beans and tomatoes taste awesome? 

Here are a few pics I took of around the old farm house.. 
I usually don't get a chance to see these old farm flowers blooming as we are always at the cottage and only Terry gets to go home and mow the lawns... 
I was pleased to see them.. 
My Aunt Eva planted them many years ago... 

When we left for the cottage I think the blossoms had just left...
Now the apples are growing away.. 

By the time we get home they will be ready.. 
It was a short visit.. 
Just dinner and dishes done.. 
But it did our hearts good.. smile..

Then we had to go home and I had to get ready for a little test 
at the hospital... 
When I came out from the test there were some special people waiting for me.. grin.. 

So we all went out for ice cream... Yeahhhhh... 


I think the ice cream was so good their dimples glowed.. 
Aren't they darling? 
I think I may sound a bit like a grandma... grin.. 

Well sweeties.. 
This is all for tonight.. 

Thank you dear Cathy-Jo for the sweet phone message.. 
You dear American friends are so kind.

And thank you dear girls from the area for stopping by for a visit.. 
Love meeting you girls who read this ..

I have not been great at blogging this Summer.. 
I seem to be busy or something but you still let me know you appreciate it and I thank you... 

May God bless you and keep you smiling all week.. 
Looking forward to hearing from you.. 

Hugs.. 

24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to be able to get away to. I can see why you find such pleasure in days spent there...The meal looked yummy too. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics. Summer has gone by much to fast. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The farm looks so peaceful... you are right, this summer has sailed right along. I can't believe it's almost over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos ! I could spend hours at that sweet little farm house . Love the cattle . Our golden rod here is just starting , it is what gives me the allergies when it is in bloom but I like the look of it so golden yellow and in the fields and road sides! Hope the tests go well for you and all is good . Oh that meal looks YUMMY ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos! As usual, they make me want to go there and just move in.
    Love the old farm house and the barn, those apples sure are beginning to fill out.
    Love hearing what you're up to, and the fact that you 2 enjoy each others company so much!
    Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.
    Would love to try the recipe!
    Hugs from down south.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures - I LOVE those red and white plates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos, delicious looking dinner. Summer has flown by for me, too, Faye, and I am not nearly as busy as you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Dearie, I could not decide if I should read your post now or wait until later when I hit the sack!!!!!I could not wait so I read it now. Your posts are so wonderful. I don't know how to explain how enjoyable and sweet you are to all of us. You put me in a good mood and make me want to be as ambitious as you.
    Your little "grandsons" are so adorable. I can see they are becoming so close to you and Terry. And they were up at the farm? Throwing some stuff out? I would definitely keep them around to help out with stuff like that!!!!! The boys mother must be a true love.
    Your dinner is so good looking. I could eat it right now, That is how Jim likes me to cook. Those green beans look like fresh ones and I know how you and I love tomatoes. Our tomatoes are late this year...just a few here and for there. We planted 8 plants but by the time we feed Kim and family, Tim and family, and my baby sister andfamily...it is going to be just right. Do you and Terry like beets. We love fresh beets as a matter of fact, Jim just planted another two rows of them for this fall. The kids don't like them but we do so they will be all ours. Melons are due to pick any day now. I put Jim and his garden on facebook if you would like to check it out.
    Did you do well at the shop this year? Did you get to see any of your cousins? I know you enjoy that. Are the grandboys coming to the cottage?Would love to hear about Shonda's new home.

    I miss you, Faye. Talk to you soon.......
    Blessings for a delightful week... for you and your family,
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post indeed. ( not sure if this post will double as I just lost it somehow) but anyhow. I enjoyed the pis of the old farm house and I could feel through your post that you really enjoy going there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your photos!

    I agree that Summer has flown by. I could use a couple more months!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning Faye, love the old homestead, I want to stay there too.....beautiful scenery, so peaceful......Love those plates, Johnson Brothers? Enjoy, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post again. Your food looks so yummy and inviting! I would live at the old farm house if I were you....not sure what winters look like there...might be too much isolation. Blessings from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Faye. What wonderful photos of your trip to the farmhouse. I love the cows with the barn in behind and the pretty dishes on the shelf. Hubby and I went to the flea market after church yesterday. Oh it was hot! And it was big. And it was closing! at 3:00!! We wandered in the hot sun as people packed up their things. I bought a vintage medicine bottle for $2. That's it. But we stopped at Sully's for ice cream and I took pics of the old train station and the street. Sussex is so pretty!! Your grandsons are so cute. Ice cream always makes one cheer up doesn't it? Enjoy the week and be blessed! Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely, peaceful and idyllic! You are blessed indeed to be able to visit even for a while!
    I can feel the contentment from here!
    Blessings
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such lovely pictures! My Mom made steak that way when I was growing up and I raised our kids on it! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Faye:

    Loved the pictures. Supper looked delicious as well:) The old china is beautiful. I also share a fondness for that. The little fellas are adorable:) You are so fortunate to have your own apple tree...I love apple season and all the lovely apple recipes!

    Have a great day, and as always thank you for your blog. So inspiring!

    Hugs and blessings,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog inspires in so many ways.

    Truly Beautiful!

    Blessings!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am taking a second look at the wonderful pictures you have posted. I would love to stay where you are, I think it's a lovely home and I would want to stay forever, so beautiful. I will have to make my steak this way and my husband would like it too. The picture of the barn with cattle is one I would have to frame, totally love it.
    Adorable grandchildren with the sweetest dimples.
    Have a great week ahead
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post...I love your photos! Yummy, can I come over for dinner? :-)

    Do you stay at this house during the winter?

    Have a great week.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it when you do old farm pictures! The dishes are beautiful. I pray all is well with your test. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful photos! I really enjoyed seeing the cattle and your cute farmhouse. And as always, your food looks delicious and your table setting is so beautiful. This summer really has gone by fast, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to live in a house like your old farmhouse. It's very cozy and comfy looking. I'm glad you got to go with Terry this time, you need to get away from your cottage and business once in a while, I would think. Your photos of the fields, flowers and barn are wonderful, I have enjoyed my visit here today.
    Love and hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely post for me to catch up on your blog and see what you're up to, Faye. I have some news on my blog for you too. Hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
  24. Faye a wonderful post.Lovely pic's.I think all your place's are just grand, and so you. It was nice hearing your voice.(hugs)

    ReplyDelete