Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

LENTIL SOUP RECIPE AND DINNERWARE STORAGE IDEA...

Happy Friday, everyone.. Another weekend is here... Thank you, Lord...
I think that almost everyone loves the weekends unless they have to work..
I still love to strive to accomplish a few chores on the weekends even though we no longer HAVE to do it then.  We can putter along all week unless Terry is actually working...lol.. He does once in a while..
So, with that in mind I thought I would give you one of MY favorite SOUP recipes.
I know that I make soup often... (Most days, to be honest)  Terry has learned to appreciate most of them...lol..
I just can't imagine opening a can when you can make such a big pot so EASILY.
Then you can freeze it or use it for lunches.
I don't make as big of batches as I used to but we still eat it ALL...
This is a recipe that I made up as I love Middle Eastern food.  I took 2 recipes and kind of combined them.. I could eat this for breakfast... I think it is my favorite..

LENTIL SOUP
LENTIL SOUP
1 - 16 OZ. can of lentils
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 - 3 cloves fresh garlic, sliced
1/2 cup raw rice
1 cup water
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
1 tsp. cumin
salt pepper to taste..

In a soup pot put lentils, water and chicken stock.  Add the rice and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
In a separate frying pan saute the onion in the olive oil until transparent.. Add the garlic at the end just for a moment.. (until you can smell it) Set aside..
When the rice is cooked add the onion mixture, lemon juice, cumin, and parsley..
Season with salt and pepper..
I guess I must confess that Terry does not like this soup.. I can't quite get him into some of my concotions..lol..

With your fry pan just add a pita and toast on both sides.. It goes lovely with your soup and is a nice change. I try not to eat a lot of bread so this is a nice solution.

Also, my friend Christine who lives in Florida posted these wonderful BISCUITS that you can freeze.. They would be lovely to make on a Saturday morning and then have them for the week..


Thank you, Christine for letting me link to your site.. That is her photo of her biscuits.. 
Also, I wanted to share a couple of organizing tips for your dinnerware and cutlery..
Sometimes it is not only convenient to store it on the counter but pretty, too..

I found this pic on the web and have tried to find where but cannot.. If you know could you let me know where I found it.. It was a very good site...
This is just a canner rack and wide mouthed mason jars for your cutlery.. Neat, eh?
They would be handy and easy to put away..Also, add a decor touch...

Then I used this at the farm.. It is a plate rack that I picked up at a thrift store.
I do not have much cupboard space there and this works lovely..
Well, my dears this is all for today..
Thank you so much for stopping by and remember that I delight in your comments...  

God Bless...
Faye..

9 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Faye. I plan to use them both. The lentil soup looks like a perfect meal on a cold winter eve. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, I'm disappointed that there will not be Keepers! But I'll forgive you... I'm needing a "Faye Fix!" about now! TTYL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the recipies Faye, I click on here and never feel hungry.
    Also love the lentil soup, just cut out the chicken stock and add veggie one.
    Have a good warm week end :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the silverware idea!!! hmm has me thinking! I hope you are feeling better now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Faye! Yummy looking soup and there's nothing like a heartwarming bowl on wintry days!
    That is a great idea for cutlery storage - love it and thanks for sharing!
    Blessings
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faye that lentil soup sounds good. But like you I'll have to eat it by myself cause my hubby doesn't like lentils. I love the idea of storing silver ware in the jars and canning rack. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for dropping into the UK and visiting my blog. I thought I would drop by and see what you were doing, what a wonderful blog and so inspirational. Love the soup recipe - will be trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh~ thank you Faye for posting your lentil soup recipe... I've been wanting to make some for my hubby (he's never had any) and I want it to be good! Yours sounds yummy!
    That is a wonderful idea for keeping silverware~ and very cute, too! I love your dishes... *sigh*... so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faye, your blogs (both) are just terrific, I love your ideas, and will try the linen cloths, and flatware. I went over & checked out the biscuits, I'll try those for sure. Thanks for your friendship!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete